First I wanted to talk about Lose It! (which I may or may not have already posted about…). It’s an app for the iPhone that I LOVE!! I loved it before when it was just a calorie/goal tracker. But now it also links to an online profile. You can connect with friends and motivate them. It has a great list of foods already in the system and it’s super easy to add your own foods and recipes. So if you have Lose It! let me know so I can add you as a friend!
I’m also starting a new diet called Calorie Cycling. It is basically counting calories, but you alternate your calorie limit each day so that your body doesn’t go into starvation mode. You have higher calories days which you do your hard workouts on. Then lower calorie days when you are recovering. Most days will be medium or your average calories.
Here is a great article about the diet : http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/
Here is a calculator to figure out how to make the diet work for you : http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#
Who doesn’t love coffee and books?! Head over to Jennifer’s blog (Tantrums and Tequila) to win a gift card to Dunkin Donuts and Barnes & Nobel!! While you’re at it make sure to wish her Happy Birthday!!
I’ve been tired and unmotivated and well lazy… so I’m going to jump on the bandwagon and start the 5,000 Question Survey (key word = start)….
1. Who are you? a 25-year-old wife/sister/daughter/friend in the middle of a quarter-life crisis
2. What are the 3 most important things everyone should know about you? I love to laugh. I care more about my family than anything else in the world. I’m a complete nerd.
3. When you aren’t filling out 5,000 question surveys like this one what are you doing? Wasting time on the computer. Reading. Yoga. Hanging out with friends. Working. Running?
4. List your classes in school from the ones you like the most to the ones you like the least (or if you are out of school, think of the classes you did like and didn’t like at the time). I liked English and French. I didn’t like Math.
5. What is your biggest goal for this year? Figure out what I want to do with my life.
6. Where do you want to be in 5 years? Free of student loans.
7. What stage of life are you in right now? Quarter-life crisis.
8. Are you more child-like or childish? Neither
9. What is the last thing you said out loud? You are so cute! (to Luna)
10. What song comes closest to how you feel about your life right now? Eet – Regina Spektor
This post may contain slight spoilers for those that have
not read The Fledgling by Octavia Butler. It will not ruin
the book, it just has some info you find out later in the book.
I hope some of you still read this…
I wrote my review for The Fledgling by Octavia Butler recently and wanted to spend a little more time discussing one of the issues in the book. This book touches on many things; race, sexuality, free will and more. I was talking with Shane a little about the free will aspect of the book and wonder how many would choose what he would.
In the book, the vampires have a venom that passes to the human during feeding. This causes intense pleasure for the human. However, it allows the vampire to control the human. After multiple feedings, the human becomes addicted to the venom and would die without the vampire feeding on them regularly. This sounds terrible. BUT it is a symbiosis. The vampires need the humans and most of them give the human a choice whether they want that life or not. The humans get a longer life (up to 200 years) and no sickness. They are more financially supported and belong to a community. They are loved by their vampire and allowed to mate/love a human as well if they so chose.
So I ask: If you could choose to live for much longer without fear of sickness, be loved, be given insane amounts of pleasure, be able to do whatever career you want, still visit your family (until your non-aging becomes an issue), and live within this community… would you do so knowing that someone else could, if they wanted to, control you, and that you would need them to survive?
I honestly don’t know. Part of me thinks it would be a fun and interesting life. The other part doesn’t know that I could handle someone telling me to do something and me having NO choice. Shane said NO WAY would he choose that life.
What would you choose?